Studer announces a revolution in thread grinding

Special grinding machines have previously been the first choice for technically complex external and internal threads with large pitches. This will now change with the introduction of an A-axis on the Studer S41 and S22 cylindrical grinding machines. Thanks to the new A-axis it will be possible to grind recirculating ball screws, thread gauges or thread rolls with large pitches perfectly in the future.

The new A-axis on Studer's S41 and S22 universal grinding machines is revolutionizing thread grinding on universal cylindrical grinding machines.
The new A-axis on Studer’s S41 and S22 universal grinding machines is revolutionizing thread grinding on universal cylindrical grinding machines.

Studer is revolutionizing thread grinding on cylindrical grinding machines with the new A-axis on the Studer S41 and S22 cylindrical grinding machines. Whereas users previously had to take recourse to high-investment special grinding machines in order to grind recirculating ball screws or worms for example, these can now be ground on the Studer S41 and S22 grinding machines. This is made possible by a newly integrated A-axis, which has been available as an option since September 2013. This is a big step towards efficient complete machining in a single clamping.

Not new – just different
Thread grinding on Studer grinding machines is not new. The Thun grinding machine manufacturer has been proficient in this process since 1997 and has perfected it in recent years. The difference in the new process with A-axis: Studer previously used axis-parallel thread grinding processes. Around 75 percent of all desired thread types can be covered with this process, but for the remaining 25 percent a tilting grinding wheel (A-axis), adapted to the thread pitch angle, is necessary.

Decisive advantage
Erhard Kämpf, Head of Form and Thread Grinding highlights the advantages of universal machines: “The decisive advantage over special machines is that these are universal cylindrical grinding machines. Not only can they perform thread grinding perfectly, but they can also – depending on the grinding head variant (S41) – perform complete machining operations. In other words, the workpieces are completely manufactured in a single clamping. This means that in most cases the process is more precise on the one hand, and quicker on the other.”

Two A-axes for the S41
Productivity is the catchword when it comes to cost effectiveness. The S41 scores double points here: It can even be equipped with two A-axes. A huge advantage for high-productivity applications: one grinding wheel can be used for rough grinding (from solid) and the second can be used for fine grinding.

Threads which could previously only be produced with special grinding machines can now be ground on the Studer S22 and S41.
Threads which could previously only be produced with special grinding machines can now be ground on the Studer S22 and S41.

.

Fritz Studer AG
CH-3602 Thun
Tel. +41 33 439 11 11
Fax +41 33 439 11 12
[email protected]
www.studer.com

.

.

.

…brought to you by Eurotec-Online.com